World

19 killed, 47 Injured In Double Decker Bus Crash

19 killed, 47 Injured In Double Decker Bus Crash

The crash was the deadliest in Hong Kong since 2003, when 21 people were killed when a double-decker bus broke through a guardrail and careened off a road.

He then kept speeding up before the bus crashed, the Apple Daily reported, quoting injured passengers at the scene.

A passenger, who had his right leg bandaged, said the double-decker was going fast when the accident happened. Police have arrested the driver and charged him with causing death by unsafe driving. The police said that they will need to expand the road blog and send more personnel to the scene for the investigation.

Most of the dead and injured were on the upper deck of the bus, Chan Hing-yu of the fire department told reporters.

Authorities said 10 of the injured were in critical condition and 15 were seriously wounded.

The bus was travelling from Sha Tin race course.

Passengers said the driver was breaking the speed limit to make up for being behind schedule, according to Now News.

An executive with The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. says $10,230 will be paid to the family of each victim.

Firefighters sort through crash debris after a bus crash in Hong Kong on February 10, 2018.

An inquiry into the accident and the bus company's operation will be set up, Lam said. So far there is no sign of fatigue driving when the accident occurred, said the general manager.

Almost 50 people were injured and taken to hospitals, including 19 in serious condition, the Hospital Authority said.

In September a year ago, three people were killed when a double-decker bus mounted a pavement in Sham Shui Po.