No evidence meant no Mark Cuban sexual assault prosecution, DA memo shows

No evidence meant no Mark Cuban sexual assault prosecution, DA memo shows

According to a police report obtained by Willamette Week's Nigel Jaquiss, Cuban was accused of sexually assaulting a women at a Portland bar after she asked him for a picture.

But she told Willamette Week she stands behind her claim "1,000 per cent".

"It didn't happen." Cuban told The AP on Tuesday via email.

On Feb. 20, Sports Illustrated published the findings of a lengthy investigation that uncovered a pattern of misogyny and predatory sexual misconduct within the Dallas Mavericks organization. As if that wasn't enough hot water for the owner, reports are now surfacing that Cuban himself was investigated for sexual assault in 2011.

Cuban appeared drunk at the time, the woman told police in 2011, Willamette Week reported.

When police contacted Cuban to discuss the women's allegations seven years ago, Cuban's reaction was considerably less measured. The SI story included allegations of serial sexual harassment of female employees by former team president and CEO Terdema Ussery, as well as separate instances of domestic violence by former team beat writer Earl K. Sneed, who remained on staff in what Cuban would later call "a awful mistake".

Portland Police Detective Brendan McGuire, who interviewed Cuban by phone over a month after the incident, said the Mavs' owner denied all the allegations, insisting he did not remember anything unusual about the evening.

Prosecutors declined to purse the case due to lack of evidence.

Explaining their decision in a report, prosecutors wrote that "there is no evidence to corroborate the complainant's statement and there is evidence contradicting the claim", and that the woman chose not to proceed with her claim. They were described by an officer as showing Cuban, whose hands were not visible, appearing to "be stretching to reach his arm down" while standing beside the woman.

Houze, Cuban's attorney, also gave authorities the results of a polygraph examination and the opinion of two medical experts that Rees said provided evidence against the woman's claims.