Medical

Hollywood Denounces Donald Trump Order Banning Most Transgender Troops

Hollywood Denounces Donald Trump Order Banning Most Transgender Troops

"This unconscionable attack on our military families can not stand - we refuse to allow it".

But the US Senate's top Democrat Chuck Schumer said the policy still amounted to a ban, calling it "yet another Trump-Pence decision meant to drive a wedge in our society". Furthermore, troops who have had gender reassignment surgery will be disqualified from serving.

Indeed, a spokesman confirmed in late February that "an openly transgender recruit has enlisted for the first time in the United States", made possible by the court's decision. Federal judges allowed transgender service members to continue serving under the old ban and permitted transgender recruits to join the military as well.

The president signed on Friday a memorandum, veto, which has been frozen in the courts since last December, but refers to a new policy recommended by the Pentagon that also represents a serious blow to the weakest link in the country, the LGTB community.

The study estimated that health care costs would rise $2.4 million to $8.4 million a year, representing an infinitesimal 0.04 to 0.13 percent increase in spending. Military LGBT advocacy groups put the estimate much higher, at around 15,000.

Trump announced in July that he would prohibit transgender people from serving in the military, reversing former President Barack Obama's policy of accepting them.

The reaction from the left online was collective outrage, resulting in the hashtag #ProtectTransTroops trending, but as Mark Dice noted: "Banning transgenders from the military is the best way to #ProtectTransTroops from harming the effectiveness of our military, or harming themselves due to their issues".

He also said that exceptions could be granted for people "who have been stable for 36 consecutive months in their biological sex prior to accession;" or had been "diagnosed with gender dysphoria" after they entered the military but did not require a change for gender. A year later, Mattis delayed allowing transgender recruits for an additional six months as the deadline neared, saying the issue needed more study.

Two federal judges subsequently ruled against the transgender recruiting ban, and that prompted the Pentagon to allow transgender individuals to enlist starting on Jan.1, 2018.

Indeed, Trump's Justice Department vowed after the announcement to continue fighting "to defend DOD's lawful authority to create and implement personnel policies they have determined are necessary to best defend our nation".

The pushback, however is now likely to just pick up even more steam.

"The policy effectively coerces transgender people who wish to serve into choosing between their humanity and their country". It doesn't make a hell of lot of sense to throw people out of the service who are doing a good job.

"In my professional judgment, these policies will place the Department of Defense in the strongest position to protect the American people, to fight and win America's wars, and to ensure the survival and success of our service members around the world", Mattis wrote about his recommendations. We have always found a way. It further claimed that there were "significant shortcomings" to the Obama administration's decision to allow transgender people to serve, which was largely based on a widely panned study by the RAND think tank.