World

Erdogan, Trump speak about Syria in phone call

Erdogan, Trump speak about Syria in phone call

On Friday night, the U.S. President Donald Trump announced that the U.S., the United Kingdom and France jointly launched strikes targeting the Assad regime's alleged chemical weapons capabilities after a suspected chemical attack killed dozens outside of Damascus.

Turkey has been working with Russian Federation and Iran through the so-called Astana process to achieve peace in Syria, but it has rejected direct dialogue with Damascus until now.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan welcomed US, British and French forces' airstrikes on Syria, saying that the operation sent a message to Syrian counterpart Bashar Assad.

"We welcome this operation which has eased humanity's conscience in the face of the attack in Douma, largely suspected to have been carried out by the regime", the Turkish foreign ministry said in a statement.

The statement noted that attacks on civilians with weapons of mass destruction, including chemical weapons, were crimes against humanity.

"It is not all about the chemicals, more people were slaughtered previously by conventional weapons", he stressed, calling on world countries to put the future of all kinds of weapons on the table for discussions in detail. "The conscience of the global community carries no doubt to that effect", it added.

"The innocent Syrian people should have been defended long ago", he added.

"It would have been unthinkable for the worldwide community to not retaliate against the Syrian regime, which appears to have carried out a chemical attack in Douma on April 7".

Erdogan said he had a "sleepless night" as he monitored all the developments.

Turkish President Recep Erdogan has warned against further escalation in Syria in a phone talk with UK PM Theresa May. "The Incirlik base was not used in the attack". In recent months, however, it has closely worked with Russian Federation for a political solution in Syria even though Moscow remains a chief ally of the regime.